Agriculture today faces various difficulties due to extreme weather conditions and changing rainfall patterns over the years. Since the green revolution agriculture has also changed dramatically, as it is no longer limited to a specific area as it was in the past, but it is now possible to grow almost anything, anywhere by using greenhouse shade net.
Why is there a need to use shade cloth for greenhouses during summers?
Well, we gotta use shade cloth in summers due to several reasons. Using the shade cloth helps to protect greenhouses from severe heating. During extreme sunny days the greenhouse can easily overheat that might result in the death of plants and vegetables. Sunshades protect the plants from dehydration and discolouration.
How to use greenhouse shade cloth?
The best way to use a shade cloth is to combine it with enough ventilation.( automatic window openers can be used for this purpose).But,on extreme hot day this ventilation can be insufficient. The solar power can be constructed within the greenhouse rising the temperature abruptly.
How much of the ventilation and shade is needed depends on the type of plants grown in a greenhouse. i.e cacti does not require any action but in case of growing vegetables and floral plants the temperature of greenhouse needs to be monitored along with a good shade cover.
Green house Shade nets are fabrics that are used to make seedling storage areas by distributing the sunlight that passes through them to create favorable conditions for the growth of a particular plant almost anywhere in the world in any climate. This is a product of the modern scientific method of agriculture and this has helped to shape the way agriculture is viewed today.
Shade nets are used in other alternative ways also other than agriculture and thus this product has proven to be versatile. Shade nets are often seen in green colour and that is why we call shade net houses greenhouses.
How does the shade net lower the temperature of greenhouse ?
Greenhouses basically reflects some of the radiations and few of them are trapped which in turn heats up the greenhouses. These radiations include infrared radiations which is invisible to the naked eye because it has the wavelengths above than the visible light’s wavelength i.e : 400-700nm
Plants carryout the process of photosynthesis within the range of red to blue lights (visible light wavelengths). The wavelength higher than this range can cause a damage to them.So if they are exposed to the infrared variations for longer periods of time it can be damaging for them by causing discoloration of young seedlings imposing a threat to their lives. Plants need only 1.5-2% light for photosynthesis. Rest of the light rays are reflected back or blocked completely via greenhouse shade cloth.So the shade nets lowers the temperature of greenhouses by blocking majority of the sunlight thus keeping the greenhouses cool.
Greenhouse shade cloth as a cooling agent:
As mentioned earlier these shade cloths block majority of the radiations and convert it to heat.this increases the temperature of cloth. This makes it a solar solar collector. Now you will feel that its temperature has risen up so it will cause the heat to go up. You know hot air is lighter than the cooler one. So when the hot air goes up the cool air moves down thus making the environment cool via evaporative cooling.
Why should we use Greenhouse netting?
Since growers started using greenhouse nets, it has revolutionized the agricultural world in a number of ways. Given below are some benefits of using these nets.
• The cultivation of flower plants, medicinal,foliage plants ,aromatic plants, spices & vegetables have been improved by the help of Green house netting.
• Nurseries of fruits and vegetables have been raised using Shade nets for greenhouses..
• It helps to increase the yield of crops during summers.
• Plant protection against Pesticides.
• It protects the crops against many kinds of environmental hazards such as wind, rain, hail, snow and so on.
• Involved in the production of young seedlings via grafting and also reduces their mortality rate in extreme hot weathers.
Applications of Greenhouse netting
• Propagation of Nurseries, indoor plants, vegetables, Production of floral plants, spices, tea and coffee.
• Different types of Farming i.e Cattle shed, Fish Pond, Poultry etc
• Barrier to wind
• Fencing, greenhouse & terrace gardening
• Apart from plants it is also used in constructions such as to repair buildings.
Types of colors in Greenhouse Netting
Now a days shade nets are available in market in various colours. Such as ,red,green,yellow,white,blue and black.
Shade nets made of these colours are useful in different ways.
But, apart from these colours there is a special type of shade net fabric called Aluminet shade cloth available in market.
This 60% Shade Factor Cloth is also known as aluminet shade cloth. This is a special, knitted cloth made from metalized HDPE and covered with an anti-oxidation coating.
It shades like regular shade cloth, but also helps cool because of the high reflective characteristics. Ideal option for covering greenhouses and retail garden centers ..
Which color is best for greenhouse shade net?
These greenhouse shades come in many colors. When choosing a shade net, it is important to know that the different colors of the shade net affect the growth of different plants in different ways so it is important for us to choose the right one that helps the plant to grow properly.
Effects of coloured shade net cloth on plants :
Light coloured cloths used for shade nets of greenhouses has been a better source of ventilation because they reflect more heat from the sun.
- Shade net made of white fabric decreases the intensity and amount of the light penetrating keeping the quality of light spectrum unaffected. As a result the growth of plant is enhanced more than that of green or black netting. That’s why . They are usually used to grow flowering plants.
- The greenhouses made of dark shade nets absorbs more heat as compared to the light coloured shade nets which reflect sunlight. Dark shade net cloths i.e green and black, absorbs the much strong sunlight by keeping the internal temperature of greenhouse controlled. Results have shown that plants grown in dark shade nets appear to have bigger leaves and high number of nodes as compared to the plants grown in light coloured greenhouse shade nets.
- Using Aluminized shade net promotes a cool growing environment by providing substantial shade for the plants inside it. So the plants that need cool climate for growth can be grown within this medium.
Factors affecting the shade net for greenhouses
When choosing the ideal shade net other important factors besides colour need to be considered. These factors include
Material of fabric
Material of fabric: Two different variants i.e knitted or woven are available in market for shade net cloths.
The knitted fabric is a blend of polyethylene that helps in heat and light diversion. Thus it is lighter in weight. It can maintain regular wear and tear as it is very strong. Its life span lies between 8 to 10 years. Its specific features include
- They are UV resistant
- You can cut them in the sizes you like.
- These are available in different colors.
- They are budget friendly
Second type is is purely made of the polypropylene is the woven variant.It also has the same benefits as those of the knitted one but with some additions such as they are heavier and can survive cold weather conditions more effectively because it has the ability to store more heat than that of knitted variant.
- They are UV resistant.
- When you cut them they unravel.
- Only found in black color
- They are expensive than knitted ones.
Both knitted and woven shade cloths have advantages and disadvantages, so studying these details you can decide which one fits your needs.
Density of the shade cloth
The different shade factor is an important factor in shaded net houses as it determines the amount of light that passes through the cloth and how much heat is trapped inside the shade net.
Shaded net houses are made of polyethylene as mentioned above, but they are available with different types of shading materials, such as 35% shading factor, which means 35% of light is blocked and 65% of light is allowed.
Some variations of this type are: 15% of the shade element, 35% of the shadow element, 40% of the shadow element,50% of the shadow element,75% shading element, 90% shading factor
- If you select a shade cloth with 30% density, it will protect only 30 % of your plants from UV rays of sun. You can use these shade cloths for plants which can tolerate heat. For instance tomatoes can be grown in 30% shade cloth.Some flowering plants can be grown under them as well. i.e chrysanthemum.
- When you want to grow flowering plants like lillies, camellias, begonas and caladiums you use the shade cloth with 40% to 50% density which is best for these flowering plants.
- 60% shade factor is suitable for plants which are highly sensitive to light. Such as if you want to grow spinach and lettuce yoy will need this shade cloth density for better growth as they do not need much light.
Gardeners who want to grow ornamental plants require a shade cloth with 70% to 90% density .so, you need to grow them in shade as they can die in harsh sunny days if exposed to direct sunlight.i.e philodendron, palms, dracaena, ferns, anthurium.
Our company builds these shade nets in different densities from 30% to 90 %.These are strong and durable with tear free attributes. These are made with virgin HDPE & UV stabilizers.
Greenhouse shade cloths in Canada:
The weather conditions in Canada usually lie below 0 degree for more than half of the year so, how does the Canadian farmers grow their vegetables, It might be a surprising fact that the Canadians are now able to grow tomatoes cucumber and pepper in the extreme cold weather as well. All this credit goes to the Canada’s green house manufacturers which are growing significantly for past years.
The green house industry has largely increased in Ontario including more then half of Canada’s green houses, The 80% of the vegetables grown in the country are produced by these green houses.
The internal environment of these green houses is maintained in such a way that it controls heat, light, humidity and nutrients as well. So, this industry is still in need of finding innovative and cost reduction methods to increase the production more efficiently. These greenhouses protect the plants from both hot and cold weathers.
So, after discussing all this information about greenhouse shade nets, its benefits and uses, it is important to know that where can you get the best quality products from?
These shade nets are available in China as well and TAIZHOU YINGSHENG GOODS & MATERIALS CO.,LTD is one of the leading Shade net manufacturer in CHINA, they can provide products of all colours and sizes at affordable prices as per the customer’s requirements .You can check them out on https://www.ysnetting.com if interested.